Dealing With Anxiety!

12:34 AM

Depression and Anxiety is a very common mental illness across the world. I happen to suffer from this very same thing, and I'm sure many of you do as well. Sadly, it's more common than not. But in this day and age, how can it not be?!

We put way too much pressure on ourselves these days. Whether it be exterior pressure (The pressure to look a certain way), or interior pressure (The pressure to get good grades etc.) the pressure is always there!
This is something I've suffered from since I was probably about 13 years old. Throughout the years, though, I have learned some ways to cope. I definitely still struggle. It's extremely hard to stay calm once you feel an anxiety attack coming on, especially when you're not even thinking about how to calm down, you just think of what's bothering you.
Let's get into my tips though!
1) Close your eyes and focus on deep breathing. 
When you're having a panic attack, breathing is the last thing on your mind. For me, I end up breathing really fast, almost as if i'm suffocating which is what it feels like. Anxiety attacks are different for everyone, though. The best thing to do is go to a place where you feel most safe (for me that's my bedroom). Once you get comfortable, close your eyes and breathe slowly and deeply in and out.
2) Take a shower.This may sound weird, but it really does help! Not only is the shower a great place to think, but the steam from the water is actually very relaxing. This is something I do when my anxiety attacks are so bad that I can't calm down any other way. Nothing feels better than coming out of the shower all fresh and clean and getting right into PJs. This is why I take my showers at night.
3) Make a list.
Another weird (or maybe not) tip for you is to make a list. The list can be about anything. What do you need to get done? Where do you want to go? What's a wishlist that you have? Making a list can really distract you from what you were previously over focusing on. This is also one of my favorite methods as I am definitely a list maker in general. I have notebooks full of to-do lists. I even volunteer to make the grocery list at my house most weeks. (Weird I know).
Anxiety is a hard condition to live with, but you absolutely shouldn't let it limit you. Don't let your anxiety hold you back, you can do anything you set your mind to (cliche I know). Next time you're having an anxiety attack, try one of these three tips to see if they work for you. Let me know if you do these things, as well as any other tips you may have!
xoxo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts